Thursday, December 3, 2015

nirvhannah's Blue Period

nirvhannah and the Pleasant Pheasant
Behind good artist is a story, and behind every story lies some kind of emotion, whether it be positive or negative. And this year was—and is hopefully the last in line—the fourth year in a row totaling the summation of negative emotions for this artist. 
Absolutely: there's always been good moments and silver linings (I mean, you can get a diamond out of a lump of coal) but since 2011, I have yet to have a year when something happened that did not leave a damper on the whole shebang. 
The last straw was when one of my good friends was killed in a car accident on the 17th, following the Parisian and Lebanese attacks, and then my paternal family, for lack of a better word, went crazy, and I simply just could not hold it all within me anymore…

Guitar Guru, in watercolor
and I turned all my artworks blue.

I mean, there are some I have created in the forever classic black and white…

Ben and Jerry, for my passed friend
But, but… blue, I say. 
Beautiful, sensual, melancholic, soft, haunting, gentle, expansive, regal, androgynous, guess at this point you could call it ubiquitous, blow the dust off some internal emotions you didn't even know you had blue

Ben at the end of the world (alternate title: The Ice Man), in watercolor
Sia in colored pencil and markers
CC from nirvhannah's point of view, in markers

I could never usurp Pablo in a million years, but I needed something, a way of grieving, and pulling my head out of the sand. If depression has taught me anything, it's that it cannot be held within. It must be vented in the healthiest way I can possibly think of.
My original characters, Archer Wilson (L) and Emperor Neptune (R),
in dedication to the San Bernadino shooting

*And... it's just so typical of me to drop my artwork in front of you all and then be completely distant because I've always had the worst time connecting with people, especially with the anonymity of the Internet, so... please forgive me xxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment